Saturday, October 25, 2014

Muli Bwanji? Bwino. I am good.

I am the one blessed
I came here to bless a class of college sophmores, but have instead been blessed by them.  I came
to teach them Principles in Leadership found in the book of Nehemiah.  And in return they have taught me many things.

The class has been going very well.  My first two days I was unsure of how they were receiving me and I wondered about their perception of me, if they saw me as someone who deeply cared for each of them and their future, or if they saw me as someone who wanted to take advantage of them or to have some selfish gain for myself.  My fears were relieved when they began opening up to me by the third day.  By the end of the week, I have had several one-on-one conversations, one who said, "I never understood leadership until this class - you are teaching me many good things."  And one of them, after finding out my music background, brought me his guitar to have me teach his some new chords.  This student, with the limited funds and musical knowledge he has, had recorded his own music (and it's good!), but desires to learn more.  In fact, that is one characteristic I find common amongst most of them - they are all sponges for knowledge and teaching.  They desire to apply and so something with what they are learning.  These are F.A.T. people (Faithful, Available, Teachable).

The Daily Work
My typical day begins around 0545 hours.  The sun has already been up for about 1/2 hour by this time.  I freshen up, spend some time in prayer and put the last finishing touches on my lessons.  At 0730, a clanging pipe is heard, signaling everyone to the eating area, which is some picnic tables. All food is prepared outside or in small cabins - think of it like camping.  I eat my breakfast - a hard boiled egg and peanut butter flavored porridge every morning - yum. 

At 0830, class begins.  I like to begin with worship - most days African style - and prayer.  We meet for about 4 hours with a couple of breaks.  Then it is lunch time, which everyday is rice and beans and
some kind of cooked greens.  At 1400 we meet again for one hour and they take a quiz on the material that they had learned from that morning.  Class is done for the day.  I then spend about an hour grading, then work on my lesson for the next day, or take some time to walk around campus, meet with students or nap.  By this time of day, it is over 95 degrees and there IS NO AIR CONDITIONING!

At 1730 the dinner bell rings.  Dinner is my favorite meal as it varies from day to day.  One day we had noodles with a piece of beef. The next day we had fried chicken (that they killed that day from their own hen houses).  Another day we had sausage and noodles.  All meals are accompanied with Sheema - consisting of corn meal with other items in it. It looks like mashed potatoes, but thicker consistency and definitely does not taste like mashed potatoes. 

After dinner there is more time to meet with students or to work on my lesson.  Curfew is at 2100 and lights out at 2200.  I have no complaints about going to bed then, or even earlier as I am exhausted by this time. 

Thank You!
The fruit of the investment in this trip is being seen as students grow in their understanding of the material and of what it means to be a leader amongst God's people.  They have been wrestling with these leadership principles and expanding their minds to think beyond college and how they can be leaders in their own communities. As an American, I have so many resources at my fingertips. This has been a blessing to be able to impart knowledge and resources to those who are motivated to change their country and continent for Christ.  I have told the students about you, the people back home who praying, who believe in the vision of this equipping ministry and they are very thankful. 

As they say in Zambia - Zikomo! Thank you for praying for me, for them and for supporting this endeavor.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Good to hear from you, we have been thinking about you in Zambia and praying. Shemma...it is just ground, white corn. If you have something in it you are blessed. Your green veggie is probably 'rape', yep that is what is called and I have yet to become a fan. Thank you for the picture of your class room you are in a good place! So glad you get to experience this and I am praying that the message of sharing Jesus with others is their passion as it is yours.

Grampy said...

Hi Pastor Rick. So nice to have a peek into your life in Zambia. We have been praying for you earnestly each and every day. We have been wondering, and marveling, at your courage to help spread the Gospel. Bless you! You appear to have adapted well to your new lifestyle, and, there is no doubt in my mind that the humble spirit you have has impressed and taught your students as you are yourself a model of Godly character and passion. You are no doubt the right man at the right time and I pray that God continues to watch over you, embolden you, and make bountiful the fruits of your labors. Take care and know that we are with you in spirit. Paul Obermayer AKA Grampy :-)

Honduras July 2010